Wednesday, December 16, 2009

LifeStyle Changed: Now & before

Certainly i m not here to discuss the definition of lifestyle..."NO".But simply i can say its the way a person lives,but certain other socio-cultural factors which may influence lifestyle to some extent.If i compare the past & present lifestyle i can see a hell-heaven difference.I came across few incidents which made me to think about this topic.

I belong to a small town in Orissa & to a middle class family,i can remember whn i was in my 5th stand 1st i saw a TV,telephone & prolly in my +12th class i came across a desktop,though I hv started using it in my MBA.And we were so happy to live a simple normal middle class lyf without any kind of luxury arround as our parents gave us wht ever we needed .And i can bet if at all we hv to leave tht kind of lyf i can do tht happily without any hesitation.Coz the exact reason may be we knw the values & worth of money.I have been to villages ,witnessed that part of life .....greenery,trees,the ghoda gadis & the cart.I remember after the school hours spending a quality time with my friends ,playing in the streets,walking all along the roads,riding bicycles.And that time i dont even know what is pocket money??we were very happy to buy the 25paisa pan pasand,cookies,mangomood etc.Those days were full of amusing activities.

But there is a drastic change in lifestyle of the urban youth today.A new born baby observes his/her presence in an AC room of a big multispeciality hospital with full of automated equipments.When the baby grows he/she founds in a posh house with ACs,LCDs,home theatres,laptops,playstations,automatic toys,4 wheeler to travel all arround & When it comes to the college time,its about hangouts,partying,pubs,rocking music,i-pods,Levi's jeans,reebok shoes,Rayban glasses-"Style statement" of the Youth today,& they feel if they do not have all these it will affect their image.

Today how many of them would prefer a pen when a laptop is given??So The day is not so far when we will stop using pens & even we will stop walking also coz of the vast use of 4 wheelers.I m more concerned about the changing lifestyle which can even make us more sophisticated and arrogant by neglecting simple human values.And i m sure one fine day our kids or their kids will ask about trees,an auto rickshaw,pen,paper ,animals etc etc .And we can show them only in pictures .

where are we heading??
Well...No answer...
Time has to tell!!!
I don't know whom to blame also.Is it the lifestyle??What Say??
After all,We are the world!!!And We make our own World.

3 comments:

Reflections said...

Wonderful post!!!! This is something I think abt all the time esp since I have my kids lifestyle to compare with mine.
I saw a b&w tv for the 1st time when my father bought one during the 84 Asiad. The fridge I think came a few years later...then the phone came a good 5 years later.
I knew what a passport was when I was around 16 or 17 but my kids already know wht a passport & visa is. And more importantly the children already know tht google is the answer to all life's problem;-D

I feel I had the best of both worlds...a city and village life. I have bathed in the streams as kids, pulled water by rope out of the wells, bot bhel-puri from the street vendor near my school, played on the streets like u mentioned, walked 2 kms to school, travelled by govt buses and autos...so many memories.

But again I think ...our children will go on to make their own memories and will have something special to remember as they look back into their childhood. Each age has its specialities and deficiencies so there is no point comparing.

But I still feel the age I grew up was the best;-D!!!!

Reflections said...

Wishing u a Wonderful year ahead!!!!

jayasree said...

Thnx a lot nancy for reading my blog...cheers.
Wht ever u said its so true.